The UK’s Defence and Security industries come to DSEI 2019 this week, with the largest ever UK Pavilion at the exhibition.
Today ADS publishes the annual UK Defence Outlook 2019 and UK Security & Resilience Outlook 2019, showing the two sectors are together worth £36bn to the UK economy, and provide 250,000 jobs.
ADS Chief Executive Paul Everitt said:
“The UK’s defence and security industries are world leaders that make a vital contribution to our national security, sustaining hundreds of thousands of high value jobs in all parts of the UK.
“This week will see our largest ever UK Pavilion at DSEI, where we will bring 153 UK companies to this major international exhibition in London.
“Global demand for our innovative and advanced defence and security capabilities is helping these important industries to grow their exports to our international allies and partners.”
The ADS UK Defence Outlook 2019 shows:
- The sector has achieved an annual turnover of £22.7bn in 2018.
- It employs 135,000 people in this high value UK industry.
- The UK defence sector invests £1.8bn a year in R&D in the UK and provides 30,000 jobs in design and engineering alone.
The ADS UK Security & Resilience Outlook 2019 shows:
- The sector is worth £13.3bn in annual turnover, a 142 per cent rise since 2010.
- It now employs 114,000 people, with 3,000 apprentices.
- Exports have risen to £5.2bn, with cyber security the largest area at 40 per cent of exports, followed by capabilities including critical national infrastructure, and policing and counter terrorism.